About Our Store
Founded in 2000, the HEP Bookstore is a full service homeschool store located in SE Houston. The store sells traditional homeschool curriculum plus Driver Ed in a Box™, toys, games, Folkmanis™ puppets, t-shirts, Insect Lore™, and many other fun and educational items. Owned and operated by Joanne Juren, the HEP Bookstore also offers consulting, transcripting services, and custom designed high school diplomas. The IOWA standardized test is offered each spring (click the STANDARDIZED TESTING SERVICES button on the left side of this page). Home Education Partnership of Texas, Inc. offers group classes for homeschoolers and their parents. For a complete listing of classes visit heptx.com. Because Joanne E. Juren, B.A., M.Ed., is the only homeschool store owner in the Houston area who has experience as both a teacher and as an administrator, the HEP Bookstore is able to offer services that other stores cannot. Mrs. Juren has also homeschooled her two sons and has been actively involved in homeschooling for 18 years. These services include:
- Special Education Consulting – As a former public school administrator, Mrs. Juren has ARD Committee and Special Education Administrative Experience. She has years of experience working with Test Results and I.E.P.’s. With this knowledge, she will gladly help the homeschool parent make curriculum choices and share ideas about how to present the materials within the homeschool environment.
- Teaching Experience – With over 35 years of teaching experience, Mrs. Juren has knowledge about curriculum and how to tailor the materials to a special child’s needs. Mrs. Juren has trained her staff to assist customers with this information. Mrs. Juren is usually available to help customers with special questions.
- College Information – Mrs. Juren also has experience as a college administrator with San Jacinto College South. She is knowledgeable about dual credit/early admission programs as well as what colleges require from homeschooled students. Currently, she is a member of the San Jacinto College District Honors Council.
- Consulting Services – Customers are welcome to schedule a private consultation with Mrs. Juren. The rate is $40 an hour. Four year plans, test scores, college planning, discipline issues, family matters, and curriculum questions are just a few of the topics that parents have brought to Mrs. Juren for consultation sessions.
- Transcript Services – The HEP Bookstore sells a transcript kit ($19.99) what may be used to create a professional looking high school transcript. Mrs. Juren will develop a transcript for $40.
- GETTING READY FOR HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGE – The book! Mrs. Juren has written a book that smooths the way for the homeschooling family to move from high school to college. The book is $29.95 and inclues the transcript CD (a $19.99 value).
- Diploma – The HEP Bookstore will custom make your student’s high school diploma. Also available is a black or blue leather cover for the diploma. HEP of Texas, our group class provider, also provides a graduation ceremony in May exclusively for homeschooled students. Caps and gowns and other graduation supplies are available through HEP Bookstore.